Sunday, January 30, 2011


I am on the End of the earth



I am at the End of the Earth

This is the translation of the name Yamal from Nenets language .
Since December 29 Yamal has become my home- it is a peninsula in the
North West  Russia. My trip was long(more than 3 days on a train), but
very joyful one ,because in Yaroslavl several brothes and sisters
joined me. They were going to Labytnangi, Yamal, to present Christmas
drama program for children and youth. We celebrated New Year on the
train and first week in Yamal we were together. These people were a
great blessing  for me. I could adapt very quickly.
Many people came for Christmas celebration in Labytnangi city.  Some
of them have never been in that church. One lady, who is a social
worker and works with poor families, invited  children of alcoholics.
I hope that God will give them opportunity to work with these families
further.
This church has needs – more youth, and a leader, who would  work with
the youth. This is  what I want to do.
Labytnangi is not far from Salekhard. Salekhard is a city where I have
been live since January 8. The church there has given me a room to
live.  January 9 I led my first lesson at Sunday school. I liked it. I
want to continue this ministry. I want to do drama ministry in this
church and to involve some members of the church. I was pleasant to
find out that older church members want to participate in this
ministry, but they don’t know how to do this. I want to do this so I
pray that God would give me wisdom how to start and organize it right.
But I have some difficulties with this- not much resources (because
Internet is very expensive here), I don’t know people well and their
abilities.
In most villages near Salekhard there are just a few Christians. For
example, In Kharp-  5 people(youth), in Yar- Sal - 5 (young girls)…
An interesting story happened with me in Labytnangi. I saw some Nenets
people (Yamal natives who live in Tundra) who came to the city to earn
some money by giving people a ride on deer. I decided to come up and
tell them about God and ask them what they believe in. I asked one
young lady: Do  you celebrate Christmas? - Yes, of course. - So, you
know that Jesus came to the earth… - Yes,I know, He is our Savior. -
So, are you Orthodox... - No, I am Baptist.
I wish you could see my face!! I was really shocked to meet Nenets
woman who is sister in Christ. Her name is Vera. She is 29, she has 3
children, she is married, but her hasband is not a Christian. Her
children are little, but they believe in God and pray each day even at
school though it is forbidden.
She is from the ethnic group - Vorkutinsky Nenetz. My pastor said
these people who live in this part of peninsula are more open to  the
Gospel than others.
The temperature here  -20, -25 Celsius. People say it is warm :) So I
am not cold.
People are kind here. I hope to do everything I can  do and glorify
God here in this cold and beautiful place which God created.
Please, pray:
-  God would open hearts for people to accept His Word,
- God's blessing on Sunday school
- He would show which ministries I should start now and which later
- God would bless me spiritually and physically (the climate change
influences me)
- unity amoung Labytnangi and Salekhard Christians, spiritual growth
of church goers.

No comments:

Post a Comment